There are several walking tracks, including the Middens Walk, and it is easy to forget that this very peaceful place is just some 1.5 kilometres from the heart of the City.
Toms Cabin (above left)
- Balls Head is originally home of the Cammeraygal people;
- It is named after Lieutenant Lidgbird Ball who was the Commander of HMS Supply of the First Fleet.
- In 1825, Edward Wollstonecraft received a land grant of 212 hectares from Crows Nest down to the Harbour and including Berry Island and Balls Head.